Hi everyone! Today I’ve got a fun dutch braided ponytail to show you. This actually used to be a big go-to hairstyle for me a couple of years ago–I wore it all the time!
It’s been so freezing cold lately, but as you can see from the pictures spring is slowly coming. 😉 I love it when all the trees start to blossom after winter!
I haven’t done this hairstyle on myself for a while, so I decided, why not do a tutorial for it? I’ve also worn this hairstyle for basketball multiple times and it’s great for jazzing up a boring ponytail. 😉
Items needed: 1 hair tie, 1 small elastic, 1-2 bobby pins (if needed)
Time: 5-10 minutes
- Begin with a side part..
- Pick up a small section of hair near the part line and divide into two pieces..
- Take a small piece from the right section, cross it underneath and add it to the left section.
- Next, take a small piece from the left section, cross it underneath, adding it into the right section.
- Cross a section from the right underneath to the left and then pick up a section of hair, crossing it underneath and adding it into the previously crossed section. This is the same as doing a dutch braid where hair is brought in. The two main sections is how the fishtail effect is created.
- Next cross a section from the right underneath to the left, bring in a section, crossing it under as well.
- Now repeat steps 3 -6 crossing sections underneath and bring in hair until you get just past your ear..
- hold the two sections in one hand and go back in pancake the braid by tugging on the edges of the braid..
- Finish with a regular reverse fishtail braid, pancaking as you go along..
- Tie off the end with a hair elastic…
- All you need to do now is gather the remaining hair into a ponytail and secure with a hair tie (you could either do a medium height ponytail or a low one–its up to you.)
- I wrapped some hair around my hair-tie to finish off the look using the topsy tail trick I showed you in my boho bubble braid combo.
- And you’re done!
If you couldn’t already tell, I love fishtail and dutch braids, so this hairstyle is right up my alley. I hope you like this style as much as I do! Enjoy the rest of you week!
Also, don’t forget to subscribe and comment, and we’ll see you next week with another tutorial! 🙂