I’ve been wanting to show you all this hairstyle for ages, as it’s been a favourite of mine for a long time now. The only problem was that it was a very difficult hairstyle to photograph in the way I normally wear it (which is a side braid over my shoulder), so today I’m showing you how to do it in a ponytail on my sister! It’s totally diy friendly and I’ll show you how you can do it on yourself in the video down below. 😉
Items needed: 1-2 hair ties
Difficulty: Medium (though if you can fishtail braid you shouldn’t have much trouble with this)
Time: 7-12 minutes
- Start by pulling your hair up into a hair ponytail. (I wet down my sister’s hair before doing this hairstyle to create smoother look, and also because her hair is curly when dry, but you can do this on dry hair as well.)
- Next, divide the hair into two even sections like you would a normal fishtail braid..
- Now take a reasonable sized chunk of hair from the outside of the right section (see video), and split into two pieces. Take one over the top of the right section and add it into the left section, and take the bottom piece under the right section and add into the left section. (Reference video to see exactly how I do it.)
- Repeat step 3 on the left section..
- Then continue steps 3-4 until you reach your ends. Secure with another hair tie..
And you’re done! See video for a more detailed tutorial, and I’ve also added a DIY side braid version (see time 4:58 on video) on myself as well. 😉
The box fishtail in the ponytail form is perfect for pretty much any sport, or even just a very active day. Let me know down in the comments if you’d like to see a tutorial on a regular box braid (the plait version of this basically.)
Until next time, happy hairstyling!