Hey everyone! Today I’m back with another tutorial for you!
I’ve decided to call this hairstyle the zig-zag braid, since it looks like a zig-zag pattern going down the back of the braid. Once you get the hang of it, it’s actually fairly simple (much easier than it looks), and it’s definitely DIY friendly, as I have tried it on myself as well. Today my sister will be modelling this hairstyle.
Essentially the braiding technique is the same a french braid, except for one added step which makes all the difference. 😉
Items needed: comb or brush, water spray bottle or some hairstyle gel or mousse, 1 hair tie.
Time 7-10 minutes (depending on your length and thickness of hair.)
note: I will be uploading some step-by-step pictures later on. (;
- Begin with you hair down, and slightly damp (it will make the braiding a tad easier.)
- Next, pick up a section of hair from the top of your head and divide into three sections like a normal french braid. Start the first stitches of a french braid (without adding in hair) before the next step.
- Now take a small sliver of hair from the outside edge of the right-hand strand and cross over all three of your sections (you’ll have to shift the sections in your hands as you’re crossing to make sure they don’t all end up mix together.)
- Once crossed over all sections take it under all the sections and add it back into the the right-hand section. (this will create the zig-zag effect.)
- Add in some hair to the right section and braid it over the middle strand like you would a normal french braid.
- Repeat steps 3-5 on the left-hand section..
- Now repeat steps 3-6 until you run out of hair to add in..
- Once you have run out of hair to add in, continue with the same steps until it is to difficult to cross the strands. Then, either tie off the braid with an elastic, or you could continue with a regular plait.
- TIP: To make the zig-zag strands look more defined once you’ve finished the braid you could go back with with some styling gel (or hairspray ect.) on your finger tips to individually smooth the zig-zag pieces.
Anndd that’s it! I hope you’ve enjoyed this tutorial. For shorter hair you could simply tie of the hair in a ponytail once you run out of hair, or make a low bun at the base of your neck to finish it off.
Please let me know what you think of this unique looking braid down in the comments, along with any sort of hairstyle request! Enjoy the rest of your week, & God bless you all! (: